Expert maintenance tips for central vacuum cleaners
Check the cleaning equipment before each use and clean it afterwards. Faulty nozzles may cause damage to surfaces. If necessary, replace old cleaning equipment and supplies with new ones.
If you notice a defect in the handle-mounted start switch or the connections or settings of your cleaning equipment, bring the entire cleaning equipment set to an authorised Allaway service dealer for evaluation and repairs. It is important that you at least bring the suction hose, extension wand and floor/carpet nozzle to the service dealer, even when not all these parts are faulty. It is recommended that you present a purchase receipt or other document proving the purchase date to the service dealer.
The central units are equipped with a fine filter (4) that protects the turbine from dust. The filter must be intact and in place. The filter should be maintained every time you empty the dust canister and replaced when necessary. It is recommended that you replace the filter no later than after every third time you empty the dust canister. If you are using a dust bag, replace the filter only when necessary.
To replace the filter:
- Unplug the power cord (5) from the wall socket.
- Remove and empty the dust canister.
- If you are using a filter cover, remove it carefully.
- Open the fastening nut (6) below the filter and remove the filter (4).
- Clean the filter by brushing it gently. If the filter is damaged or blocked, replace it with a new filter. Do not allow dirt to get inside the filter.
- Remove any loose dust from the filter chamber and reinstall the filter. Tighten the fastening nut (6) firmly by hand. Install a new filter cover. Clean the sealing (3) carefully. Place the dust canister (2) back into place.
- Connect the power cord (5) to the wall socket.
A dust bag installation kit that is easy to install is available for Allaway central units (manufactured in 2002 or later). You can use a dust bag in the central unit after installing the dust bag installation kit. You can also have the installation kit installed in older A- and C-series devices by an authorised Allaway service dealer. Using a dust bag means that you need to maintain the fine filter less often. Using a dust bag is hygienic, and it is recommended particularly for homes with pets.
To install the dust bag installation kit:
- Unplug the power cord from the wall socket and the low-voltage wire from the low-voltage connector.
- Remove the central unit from the wall bracket.
- Remove the dust canister. If the dust canister has a sealing cone, remove the cone section from the sealing by pulling the parts apart.
- Remove the fine filter from the central unit by opening the filter’s fastening nut.
- Push the dust bag holder into the suction coupling visible in the central unit’s frame.
- Put the fine filter back into place and install the dust bag support between the filter and the filter’s fastening nut. Tighten the fastening nut.
- Attach a dust bag to the dust bag holder.
- Attach the sealing to the edge of the dust canister and put the dust canister back into place. Lift the central unit onto the wall bracket.
- Connect the low-voltage wire to the low-voltage connector and the power cord to the wall socket.
First, put the filter into place in the central unit and tighten the filter’s tightening nut. Then place the filter cover on top of the filter. The filter cover must be placed on the filter with its mouth facing up.
Using a filter cover in the central unit makes it easier to clean the fine filter and increases the maintenance interval and service life of the fine filter. Using a cover is recommended. Do not use a filter cover in central units equipped with a dust bag.
Read more about the filter cover.
Clean any dirt from the washable fine filter by vacuuming or brushing it gently, after which you can wash it under running water. A washable filter can be washed approximately five times before it needs to be replaced. Using a filter cover makes it easier to maintain the fine filter.
If the low-voltage wires are broken and it is time to replace the central unit, we recommend that you purchase the sound-activated C 40 Sonis central unit.
When you use the services of an authorised Allaway service dealer, remember to provide the type number and serial number of the central unit in question. This information can be found on the name plate on the surface of the central unit, on the side of the turbine casing.
The device must always be transported the right way up.
- Empty the dust canister and clean or replace the filter.
- Locate the blockage by sucking pieces of paper towel through the wall inlets. If you find the piece of paper inside the dust canister, the airway in question is open.
- Once you have located the blockage, remove the central unit and check that the blockage is not inside the central unit’s couplings.
- Connect the coupling on the suction side of the central unit to the wall inlet of the blocked branch with a suction hose sleeve, or, if the blockage is inside the main pipe, to the wall inlet nearest to the blockage.
- Start the central unit from the low-voltage connector with a metal thread.
- Go to the central unit’s actual place of installation. Close and open the suction pipe’s opening with your palm. This subjects the blockage to low-pressure impacts.
- If the blockage does not open within 10 to 15 seconds, remove the central unit from the wall inlet to allow the turbine to ventilate and to prevent it from overheating.
- Repeat the attempt after approximately a minute.
- If you cannot loosen the blockage with suction but have located where it is, you should see if you can easily gain access to the piping without dismantling any structures or with reasonable dismantling. If you can gain access to the piping, you can usually easily remove the blockage by opening the pipe connection.
- Never try to open a blockage with overpressure, such as compressed air, as overpressure will open the pipe connections.
- You can also try to open the blockage by carefully pushing a tension spring inside the piping, so that it does not push the pipe connections open.
- If you are unable to remove the blockage with the instructions provided above, please contact an authorised Allaway service dealer. A good way to locate a blockage is by using cameras. You can ask service dealers about possible cameras.
- Blockages are rare in Allaway dust pipes. When one does occur, it is almost always due to incorrect installation.
You can extend the lifespan of a wall-inlet-activated suction hose by washing the hose with water and laundry detergent. To fill the hose with water, hold both ends of the hose up. While the hose is filled with water, you can shake it and press it carefully with your shoe. Dry the hose thoroughly before using the vacuum cleaner. However, never wash a handle-activated suction hose.
If you are using a wall-inlet-activated hose: Cut off the damaged section and connect the suction hoses with a connector sleeve. If the suction hose breaks near the hose sleeve or the handle, twist the suction hose sleeve or handle to remove it, cut off the damaged part and twist the suction hose sleeve or handle back into place. The parts are connected to the hose with a left-handed thread.
A handle-activated hose cannot be shortened or extended without removing the end of the hose. If you have any questions about maintenance or repairs, please contact an authorised Allaway service dealer. Check the service dealer nearest to you here.
- the other wall inlets are intact and do not leak
- there are no objects in the wall inlet that stop the air flow
- the suction hose is intact and clear of any objects that would stop the air flow
- the dust canister is installed correctly and its sealing is intact
- the dust canister has been emptied or a possible dust bag replaced
- the fine filter has been maintained
- the exhaust air is free to flow out
- the piping is airtight.
If you suspect a leak, check that the piping system is airtight. The airtightness of the piping system must also always be checked during installation, before the structures are closed. Do not use overpressure to check the airtightness.
To check the airtightness of the piping system:
Close all wall inlets and turn on the central unit for no more than 20 seconds by connecting the starting circuit with metal thread (such as a paper clip in a U shape). If air comes out of the exhaust pipe within 10 seconds of starting the unit, there is a leak in the piping system. Locate and repair the leak.
Block the bypass valve with a piece of cardboard during testing for the following models: DV-30, C 40 and Duo (figure).
Do not use the unit for longer than 20 seconds with all wall inlets closed, as when the turbine receives no air, it will overheat and may even be damaged.
Closed wall inlets should not let out a hissing noise during vacuuming. If a hissing noise is heard, the wall inlet has a leak. Ensure that the cover assembly’s sleeve is shortened to the correct length. For more information on shortening the sleeve, please see the installation instructions for the Allaway piping system. The cover assembly can be removed from the wall by unscrewing the screws with a screwdriver.
- 230 V power supply to the socket
- if the central unit starts from other wall inlets
- the low-voltage connector’s connection to its counterpart on the central unit’s wall bracket
- does the central unit start from the low-voltage connector when you connect the central unit’s starting circuit with metal thread
- in handle-activated suction hoses; is the starting circuit of the hose intact. If the central unit starts when you connect the contact pegs of the wall inlet with metal thread, for example, but not with the suction hose’s handle-mounted start switch, the hose or the switch is damaged
- if the central unit starts with the low-voltage connector but not with the wall inlet, check that the wires are intact
- if the electric motor’s overheat protection has been tripped. Wait at least half an hour before restarting the machine.
- if the electric motor’s overload protection has been tripped. This causes the start relay in the central unit to click when you try to start the central unit, but the motor will not start. Contact an authorised Allaway service dealer.
If you have any problems maintaining the system yourself or if your central unit requires maintenance, you should contact the Allaway service dealer nearest to you. The network of service dealers covers the whole country.